SugarK commented on a Build, Predator X Stretched Edition   Jul 27, 2017  

now is the racer star dark working out? I'm interested in getting one to replace a busted ESC board in a Fly tower but see mixed reviews..

theGreenOrange   Jul 27, 2017 

Well, not too good actually. I have smoked two of them on the bench without getting in the air.

I think the first one was my fault because I screwed up my motors while rewiring them.

But the second one is a total mystery which i blame on the ESC. My wiring and soldering was top notch, no shorts anywhere. Plugged in for a few seconds and it smelled funny. Tried again, thought i heard a crackling sound and smelled funny. Plugged in again and it didnt smell. Tested motors in betaflight and only one motor works.

I ordered what i thought was a different ESC rated at 20A from gearbest, but upon closer inspection, it is apparently the same board. I hope this one works, this build is driving me nuts. It is my 5th build (including a Predator X v1) and i have NEVER had anything like this happen at all.

theGreenOrange   Aug 04, 2017 

Looks lime the third one works. I think both the first two were my fault, used bad motors on them.

sindjinn   Aug 28, 2017 

It's not your fault. The Racerstar Dark has two of its mounting holes attached to bat+ and the other two to bat- If you mount it with metal screws to an electrically-conductive carbon fiber frame it will fry itself.