Sean commented on a Build, Night Pyro   Jan 07, 2017  

Awesome attention to detail in this build, love the look of it. Great photos and a well written up build too! I have a couple of questions:

1. How did you get that formatting in your description on here? Did you just insert HTML into the form?
  2. Is liquid electrical tape really not worth bothering with? I know conformal coating is the way to go but I recently bought a tub of liquid electrical tape and neither options are very cheap so I'd rather not let it go to waste. I don't plan on flying in rain or snow, just looking for some protection against wet grass really. Do you think liquid electrical tape is okay for that?
Show 2 more comments
Sean   Jan 08, 2017 

Oh awesome, I've used Markdown before but had no idea it was supported here! Thanks for your answers, sealing the ESCs with hot glue is a good tip, I may try that. So far I haven't had an issue with wet grass but I think I'll paint some liquid electrical tape onto the PDB just to be safe.

Whiffles   Jan 08, 2017 

I'm not sure the liquid electrical tape is worth it. You'll just have a messy PDB that'll be hard to work with in the future.

sark   Jan 08, 2017 

Ultimately, doing any of this "water-proofing" adds an additional steps to any rework that may later be required. The nice thing about conformal coating is you can basically just use your soldering iron to burn through it. Hot glue and liquid electrical tape both require more work as you have to peel them away. That being said either method provides more protection than nothing, and, if I am working on the pdb it usually means I have had to disassemble the entire quad anyway. It's really up to the you what's worth it and what is not.