Bumper Whoop

By furiouspug on Aug 07, 2017

7 955  15 

My very first build. Finished! Now if I know how to fly it...

I wanted something I could fly indoors 80% of the times and still have the juice for the other 20% outdoors.

Tips for the next person:
1) Use solder paste! I spent three days trying to get no-lead solder to stick to silver coated wires. Also, it's impossible to find rubbing alchold in Japan. Solder paste cleaned up the flux and got everything to play nice.

2) The adhesive used to glue the carbon fiber to the foam takes about 5 days to dry. During that time it will pick up any dirt, lint, solder bits, dreams, wishes, souls, etc. While it was semi-sticky, I used tweezers and picked at it till clumps would peel off.

The canopy is a RKH tiny whoop top. Running ibus , dshot and a led strip, so had to remap some pins. Batteries are rotorx 3s and turnigy bolt 2s.

Had a complete blast building the frame and can't wait to fly it.

Photos

Discussion

Sign in to comment.
SoupOS   Aug 12, 2017  

Hey there, great build!

I've got a question: Is there a smaller version of this frame that could work with 6mm brushed motors?

furiouspug   Aug 14, 2017 
1

Not that I have seen. I wish they would do a V2 of this frame, maybe thinner or quieter.

SoupOS   Aug 14, 2017 

yeah that would be nice. I have 2 whoops on standard frames and am looking for some new and exciting frames to test out

SPST_V   Aug 09, 2017  

whoop style looks lovely! mine ended up like this because i wanted this as flat as possible. (props are dual blades now)
one of my favorite quad now, I can fly this literally anywhere. party time is the best...
seems like you put wraith32 mini like me, (pretty much overkill for this quad though) try bidirectional setup!
when you can flip back from turtle crash, this thing is almost immortal.

furiouspug   Aug 09, 2017 

You fit a micro in there! Haha
I think the bumper was the perfect frame to start a scratch build on, just so many different configurations and plenty durable.

I am considering moving to smaller motors and esc to cut weight and noise.

Currently   Aug 07, 2017  

Thumbs up for the paste or the candy? XD Just curious, is rubbing alcohol hard to get because of Japanese law? I really like the build tho

furiouspug   Aug 07, 2017 

I still haven't found any. I read online that some places do carry it. For now, Paste has removed any need for cleaning :)

Gear Reviews

4 827 
By Whiffles 12 days ago

The ThinkTank FPV Airport Helipak is the premier travel bag for FPV enthusiasts. I've taken this bag across the country and around the world, and I really can't imagine a better pack for the job. It's huge. It's the size of a carry-on luggage, and it's designed specifically for FPV. It offers customizable compartments that can store a handful of quads, a transmitter or two, a couple sets of goggles, batteries, tools, props and a laptop. If you're feeling lazy you can even pack a couple quads without removing the props. You'll never find yourself saying, "I wish my bag was bigger." Build Quality This is a nice bag. It offers enough padding to securely carry all your FPV gear. The exterior padding is quite thick and rigid. I feel safe packing my goggles and transmitter without any additional keep reading..

4 868 
By Whiffles Oct 24, 2017

The EV100 Micro AV Recorder is a DVR for the Eachine EV100 headset. Eachine should have built this into the headset, but here we are. It's about the size of a matchbook and works quite well despite a short learning curve. It's powered by the same battery included with the EV100 and uses the white balance lead. Other than that you can use either of the included 2.5mm to 3.5mm cables to plug it into the video input/output port of the EV100. You can either strap it beside the battery in the headstrap or use the included double sided tape to mount it to the top of the goggles. Vs the Eachine ProDVR This is obviously a repurposed Eachine ProDVR, but it does simplify the design. The ProDVR has different pins for each input and output. In fact the entire side of the unit is dedicated to various keep reading..

Are you sure you want to unfollow this person?
Are you sure you want to delete this?
Click "Unsubscribe" to stop receiving notices pertaining to this post.
Click "Subscribe" to resume notices pertaining to this post.